A. INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
The Malawi Institute of Management (MIM) is a Statutory Corporation established by an Act of Parliament No. 7 of 1989 to provide leadership and management training, consultancy and research services to the public sector, statutory corporations and the private sector in Malawi and beyond. The Institute has two specialized Directorates which are responsible for the implementation of its mandate as stipulated in the MIM Act.
In order to fulfil its mandate effectively and efficiently with strategic leadership and management, an excellent and rare opportunity has arisen to engage a qualified person of Malawian origin to fill an Executive Management position of EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR tenable at its Lilongwe Main Campus. The Board of Directors of MIM therefore invites applications from suitable candidates to fill the position on a three (3) year employment contract.
This is a highly demanding position that requires a person who has demonstrable capacity to initiate administrative and managerial innovations geared at making MIM a Center of Excellency, vibrant and competitive institution.
B. GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
The Executive Director shall be the Chief Executive Officer and professional head of the Institute. He/she shall be responsible to the Board of Governors for the effective and efficient operation and management of MIM. He/she shall lead a multidisciplinary team of experts and shall have all overall responsibility for managing the Institute and its resources. The Executive Director shall also provide leadership, guidance, direction and advice on policy and overall strategic direction of the Institute.
C. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
The Executive Director shall be responsible for the following among others:
1. proper administration of the Institute in accordance with the general principles, policies and regulations determined by the Board of Governors;
2. Formulating and implementing short, medium and long term strategic corporateplans;
3. Advising and interpreting policy matters of MIM to all relevant stakeholders;
4. Formulating, controlling and implementing annual budgets to ensure improvements if the organization’s financial position;
5. Formulating and submitting a well costed draft annual work programme of the Institute to the Board of Governors and the Government of Malawi for consideration and approval;
6. Executing the approved work Programmes of the institute;
7. Promoting effective and efficient collaboration with national and international organizations and institutions that may be interested in advancement of the objectives of the institute;
8. Preparing and submitting annual reports on the activities of the Institute, including financial statements on its income and expenditure to the Board of Governors and the Government of Malawi for consideration;
9. Managing the day to day operations of the Institute through planning, organizing, supervising, coordinating and directing activities and proper management of all its resources, human and material;
10.Preparing and submitting annual reports on all MIM Programmes and projects to the Board and Government for consideration;
11.Directing and guiding all Directorates of MIM in the preparation of corporate strategic and business plans and aligning them with relevant Government Policies, MIM’s vision and mission;
12.Undertaking continuous monitoring and evaluation of operational progress for each Directorate of MIM through the establishment of effective Human Capital processes to achieve MIM’s set targets;
13.Identifying organizational structure changes and staff skills gaps, and establishing required change management processes;
14.Ensuring that manpower needs are met through appropriate recruitment, remuneration, promotions, staff development and discipline policies, procedures, systems without compromising the Institute’s viability;
15.Ensuring that MIM operates a proper and efficient accounting system in conformity with generally acceptable financial accounting standard which include timely preparation of the budget plans in line with relevant legal instruments;
16.Ensuring that effective management systems, procedures and financial controls are in place to make the most effective, economical and efficient use of the Institute’s resources; and
17.Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Governors from time to time.
D. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Applications must have:
1. a minimum of a Master’s and Bachelor’s Degrees from an accredited Institution, in any of the following fields: Business/ Public Administration or Economics or Finance or Human Resource Management;
2. at least ten (10) years post Master’s degree level experience at senior management level in the higher education and management training and consultancy sector; and
3. Applicants in possession of a Doctorate degree in the above fields will have an added advantage.
E. KEY COMPETENCIES AND ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidate must:
i. Have good leadership and team building skills;
|ii. Have demonstrable experience in leading a multi-disciplinary team with varied professional qualifications;|
iii. Be able to interact with stakeholders, partners and collaborators at the highest
iv. Be able to demonstrate wide knowledge of the management training sector and must have a proven track record of managing an Institution like MIM;
v. Have experience in results based management;
vi. Be computer literate (Microsoft office: MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint):
vii. Be decisive, self-motivated, assertive and excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and
Be of high integrity, discretion and excellent negotiation skills.
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations,
P.O. Box 30061.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged and invited for in